Friday 6 January 2012

Sleep, Among Other Things

    Sleep! Something that I have always found irritating. It seems so trivial, to always need something such as sleep to function, and so much of it too. So much time is wasted by this one little thing. We sleep so much of our lives away...it makes me sad. I am a person of science, but even that doesn't alleviate my terrible sleeping habits. I know how badly it's supposed to affect my mental and physical abilities, but I can't really help it. I have slight insomnia, and my incessant studying and worrying doesn't help much.
    
     I admit it; I definitely do not sleep enough. I get exhausted sometimes and I wonder why I don't sleep more. Then night comes, and I feel like I have so much to do once again. Then I remember again why I don't sleep as much as I should. I look at the way I've been working so hard towards so many things and wonder, if we didn't need to sleep as much, could I accomplish more? If we didn't need to sleep as much, I could actually not feel exhausted every time I start relaxing. I can't remember the last time I got more than eight hours of sleep willingly. I know; this is slightly insane and such, but I feel like sleeping is just so...wasteful of time.I could be doing so much in the time that I sleep...

      Sometimes I wonder what quirk of evolution made us this way, made us need so much sleep. If we were really designed to be the best of the best of the best, then why do we have so many weaknesses everywhere? Why have to sleep so much? Sleep is comforting, relaxing, but I feel we humans want it too much. I don't sleep nearly enough, and it's taken its toll on me. And so, because of that, I waste more time sleeping so that I can be better all the other times.

    The other thing I would like to share is this human psychology experiment. (Warning: this is just the slightest bit gory. No pictures, though. Just words.) It's really quite interesting how it works. Try. Try to prove the author wrong. I failed.

    And, as you can probably see by my late posting time, I am (once again) not getting enough sleep. It's 12:40 am.

Have a tomato and a little boy. Here you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment